Skip to main content

The Lessons of Silence

  Until recently I didn't realize that my true voice was that of those I put into written form. Some find theirs in movement through dance or imagery in paint and photos. Some find theirs through actions just as rewarding, and endeavors that claim the highest honors. Arts and crafts etc... The list goes on and on and is as individual as each one of us. Today I am honored, and humbled again to understand that blessing just a little bit more.
 All of those voices, in all forms and abilities, in all degrees and many times failing, they communicate. I am blessed beyond my own comprehension in my ability to communicate, either through written words or spoken, vocal or visual. I seem to have a little knack at it all, whether learned or gifted I have no idea. I just think that it is my opinionated inner beast bending the bars on my ego at times. At others making sure the bars will just hold?...
  My friends little sister came to town for a visit. Relocating from another state in the fall and making arrangements this summer. Single mother with two kids, works 12 hour shifts, low end government job. Her youngest child has special needs. He wears a helmet at all times, has motor function difficulties but can walk. He is also what they call a communication disorder.
I. A communication disorder is an impairment in the ability to receive, send, process, and comprehend concepts or verbal, nonverbal and graphic symbol systems. A communication disorder may be evident in the processes of hearing, language, and/or speech. A communication disorder may range in severity from mild to profound. It may be developmental or acquired. Individuals may demonstrate one or any combination of communication disorders. A communication disorder may result in a primary disability or it may be secondary to other disabilities.
http://www.asha.org/policy/RP1993-00208/

 In the words of his Uncle, he has not said a word in his twelve years on this Earth. The sounds he emits are death curdling screams that are a mix of terror and elation. Not all of the time mind you, but those times are often enough. Now that didn't even cross my mind when I said hello to him and waved. Didn't cross my mind when I spoke with my wife later on that evening about the Mom a bit and ideas to help. Somewhere in my prayers and meditations this morning it came to me. It came to me like a soul crushing lesson, the empathy train was barreling out of control, the humility hammer hitting home. You selfish son of a bitch, you have all of this, all of this creativity and communication abilities, you are blessed beyond your own comprehension. There are those that are searching for just one word, picture, one note of music.
 As a person that did not really start to understand his own voice until recently. With the knowledge that the journey has just begun in that subject. I find a deep empathy when I think of those unable to speak, to write, to create. In my creating stages I sometimes ask myself that age old question about which super power would you want. Inevitably it always winds down to that of healing, cure people, I thought what a great idea. I am a male so of course in the end I still want to fix things... I do not speak well at times and am often misunderstood. My gifted nature throwing off social filters at times and interrupting all to often, those five thousand words I just thought of in that last second done sprung a leak. I don't sing perfectly anymore, old habits have done the damage. In my mind fixing that means removing it altogether, stop speaking, stop singing, stop writing... Stop communicating.
 I am a selfish son of a bitch, not any denouncement on my saintly Mother, but only myself. I get to do this, I get to have the benefit of others knowing what I feel, what I want, what I don't. I am blessed to have the rewards of giving and receiving, the Thank You's and You're Welcome's, the I Love You's and the release of the ever lurking Fucks! I used to think this was the time for my healing, my righting of a godly wrong. That empathy train brought a lesson with it, add stupid to that selfish SOB business. Just like the examples I see all too often, I want to destroy something I know nothing of, or am just too damn ignorant to get it. Without ever uttering a single word, this twelve year old kid just wrote all of this and more, just said a freaking lifetime of thought, simply by being, simply by being. I think we may have to look at the definition of communication again, myself, I got volumes.
  There are so many that cannot communicate in this world. It's causes from physical and mental conditions to social and political causes as well. In every picture of a starving third world child to every developmentally challenged person a volume of thought and a barreling train of empathy. I am blessed and humbled by this ability of ours, both physically and politically, that ability to communicate. Within it we create the fabric of this world through our words and art, our speeches and song, our pictures and our sculpture. Some say that I have a gift of being able to maybe bridge that point between feelings and the real world maybe a bit better or different than some. I don't know about that but I don't mind telling you how I feel. When I was thinking about communications and this twelve year old boy. When painting and writing and creating the fabric of our world these silent folks are owed a great deal of debt in my eyes. As much as we can write and paint and sing and sculpt, the lessons they communicate to us are the ones that are mostly felt. In that they are some of the best communicators I know of. Because silently it comes from the heart, if you listen...












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

America - I'm Lovin' It!

Welcome to America.... Can I take Your Order? As this week begins, I am reminded again that the events and results from the previous year are trying to push themselves into this one. We are just short of that time when we permanently scar the buttocks of the nation with an asterisk and a question mark. When we hand over the government to those who wish to erode it away. Globalism made to order for a few, the people still a commodity being traded away in the most covert and overt of manners. I have written about the outright antagonism that the Russians have engaged in, the voting and manipulation of the American psyche. Breaking in to C-Span, dogging our cyber security and basically just laughing at us, we apparently are not going to do anything. There are others involved in this as well including our pals the Israelis, if there was a closer tie to another Super Power in this world we would be closer to China, but the Russians are working on them as well, so here we are. The Bols

With Slings of David

I have had this title sitting up here since November 10th. I had no idea what it was supposed to mean, though I didn't get rid of it for some reason. Was it some part of an idea or concept that already escaped me? Or one that was yet to fully come into clarity? I have no idea where this block is originating from, but it's reach feels somewhat gigantic. Mercury in retrograde may be a part of it, or an inner tornado of bile that won't settle down with the best meds around. Maybe it is just a huge denial system that got kick started like an atomic bomb? Maybe it is a huge realization and a betterment of my perceptions? Maybe it is a grief of mourning for what I once thought I knew, not only about my country, but about people as well? I don't know what to call it because it has not yet made itself clear enough to me. Thus I pick up the pen, or in this case keyboard and walk my way through this. It must have needed a crisp New Year, a new perspective to get something out

Clinton and the Cosby Effect - America's New Judiciary

   There is a systematic dismantlement going on in America. It is not our infrastructure, our politics or our morals. It is in our basic judiciary, our justice system, in our beliefs. With this new found voice that the common person has found online, a step back in our social evolution is taking place. On every page and with every keystroke the entirety of our existence is being argued about, heralded and flat out lied about. That is the freedom we have in this country, we get to lie with impunity, we get to pull things like a Stretch Armstrong to make our points, make us right, make us feel justified.   No matter what your thoughts are about the guilt or innocence of Bill Cosby and the allegations against him, this is true. The man has not been convicted, the man has not been tried by a jury of his peers, this dismantling of the person has been done by the media and social media alone. That much is very clear to me when I take everything else off of the table. The same thing is happ