Skip to main content

When Christmas Ages Out

On the fiftieth Christmas that I got to spend with some family I observed quite a bit. It has been a year of so much change, why should it stop at the family doors.

Let me start by saying that the overall message I got was to stay far away and quiet and to just send money. My family I have found even more convincingly values the worth of a person by how much they make, how much they don't need anything from anyone. So since I am going through so much change, giving them what they want will be job number one.

 My being unable to drive is a hindrance and a burden on people around me, so if I cannot get somewhere on my own I won't ask for a ride. The money we make is barely able to support us and falls short about time for rent, I will not ask for help. I will just let the consequences of being ill take its course and try my best to live through the outcome. I will stay my distance from family and friends because apparently I am not doing anything right enough for their standards, so instead of insulting their sensibilities I just will simply grace them with my absence.

I have been trying to find the next steps in life and I am getting there slowly. This Gifted/HSP business has given me the last part of my psyche that was needed. Though now that I am becoming whole, for once in my life, I am losing everything else that I held dear and close, my country, people, and my family. If you have kids there is a reason to celebrate, a reason to gather. When you are alone with your wife though, you find yourself a third wheel and looking for an exit. It becomes a point where it is not your family anymore, just a collection of strangers that judge you from a past you cannot change. A future you are trying to define.

On Thanksgiving my brother was giving my wife and I a ride home. His daughter was getting married in three weeks, the week before Christmas. He asked me if I wanted to make a little money and he then said he needed a couple of large chess pieces for the head table. I had never done anything like that before, but to help out I said I would try my best. Now with three weeks and my limited abilities to stand still for long periods, still about an hour at most at a time. I already had a week's worth of work on pens and gifts for a friend out of state. The wedding was a timeline I couldn't not meet, my brother has been there so much for me I couldn't let him down. So I finished up the pen orders and once again I painfully put my friends gifts on the back burner. I turned my attention to the big project at hand and went into creative mode. It really didn't matter too much, my plans blew out on the first try, the weather had gone into the 20's and my shop had no heat. With less than a week to go I went at it again, cutting and gluing hardwoods, bringing them inside to dry, to try to cure enough to turn them. You can't wear gloves with this kind of work and my back was fried early and often, but I plugged on through missteps and learning curves. I put in about thirty hours in those last few days, neglecting my health to get the job done. My sinus's were making my ears feel like spikes being hammered in, my back was swollen and numb, and I couldn't feel my legs for the most part. As my hands were turning a curious shade of blue/white and my arms were just shaking from the overuse, I got them done. The morning of the wedding day I was putting on the finishing touches, the paint and crown and wedding ribbon colors, all of which cost no small amount to us. I used our food money to finish these out believing it was going to be replaced.
  At the wedding I was fried, I had only gotten a few hours of sleep because I had gotten myself tired beyond my norms could take. Brought a gift and the chess pieces, and even though people liked them it was not about that and I understood that well enough. Nothing was said by my brother about payment or anything and I just let it be, I would see him at Christmas when everything had calmed down. On Christmas day when he was driving us home, all he could do is be upset and ask about the forty bucks I owed him for a propane heater that he got me, yet I had no way to get propane until well after it was really needed. I told him I thought I was going to get a little something for making the pieces, at that he just scoffed, and I told him I would get it to him as soon as possible, the electric utility had jumped our butts this last week and took away our Christmas giving. I am now the bad guy again, and last night I figured it all out a little bit more.

My Mother and my brother are not on my side, they just don't want any undue guilt. They probably think they failed my late sister. So they don't want to fail me, at the same time they don't want to put in the effort as much and fall short again. The good thing is my wife and I have no kids, so there is no real collateral damage so just let it happen more. My brother has at least heard a few of my articles and he says they are well written at least, my mother just listens politely and says ok, forgetting it as the words pass from my mouth. Like I said, it's how much you make, not what you make that is the only thing that would make her proud of me, so I am just going to stop trying. There is just no pleasing some people no matter how much you try, and that includes Moms I guess. My brother is acting like he is picking up another son of some kind because of my neediness. That is going to get nipped in the bud here immediately, and so is everything else.

You see I just will take the advice that has been so overtly delivered. I will take the hint and stay away, don't share what I do, don't need for anything. Don't ever let on that I am making it or not making it ever again. Because as much as those two would like to think they are being shining knights, they are also using every bit of my trust and what is happening in my life to make gossipy and just wrong statements about me and my character. Mixing in all of my old actions with my new and coming up with a hybrid of a person that fits neither realities as they really are. Like in AA, they will tell the truth about you, just not to you. With ten bucks from a scratch ticket given out as a stocking stuffer and a house with no food in it, they will never know. I will not tell them, I will not break. I would rather blow my brains out than ask anyone for anything ever again, especially family.

So Christmas has changed for the different, for the rest of my life and I guess you could say that Santa has died in my tiny heart. This year my country has changed, my "friends" have disappeared, my family has made things clear. My inner self has been put to peace in a barren land of tomorrows, those things that I only wanted understanding from are lost to time and to the years life. They say that this gifted life is lonely and I understand that much so succinctly. They say it is also painful, and I have to attest that it is, I am learning not to suffer so, but it doesn't mean I will not.

I will not ask for anything, and in return I expect nothing. Dreamers have no value.
























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

America - I'm Lovin' It!

Welcome to America.... Can I take Your Order? As this week begins, I am reminded again that the events and results from the previous year are trying to push themselves into this one. We are just short of that time when we permanently scar the buttocks of the nation with an asterisk and a question mark. When we hand over the government to those who wish to erode it away. Globalism made to order for a few, the people still a commodity being traded away in the most covert and overt of manners. I have written about the outright antagonism that the Russians have engaged in, the voting and manipulation of the American psyche. Breaking in to C-Span, dogging our cyber security and basically just laughing at us, we apparently are not going to do anything. There are others involved in this as well including our pals the Israelis, if there was a closer tie to another Super Power in this world we would be closer to China, but the Russians are working on them as well, so here we are. The Bols

Clinton and the Cosby Effect - America's New Judiciary

   There is a systematic dismantlement going on in America. It is not our infrastructure, our politics or our morals. It is in our basic judiciary, our justice system, in our beliefs. With this new found voice that the common person has found online, a step back in our social evolution is taking place. On every page and with every keystroke the entirety of our existence is being argued about, heralded and flat out lied about. That is the freedom we have in this country, we get to lie with impunity, we get to pull things like a Stretch Armstrong to make our points, make us right, make us feel justified.   No matter what your thoughts are about the guilt or innocence of Bill Cosby and the allegations against him, this is true. The man has not been convicted, the man has not been tried by a jury of his peers, this dismantling of the person has been done by the media and social media alone. That much is very clear to me when I take everything else off of the table. The same thing is happ

With Slings of David

I have had this title sitting up here since November 10th. I had no idea what it was supposed to mean, though I didn't get rid of it for some reason. Was it some part of an idea or concept that already escaped me? Or one that was yet to fully come into clarity? I have no idea where this block is originating from, but it's reach feels somewhat gigantic. Mercury in retrograde may be a part of it, or an inner tornado of bile that won't settle down with the best meds around. Maybe it is just a huge denial system that got kick started like an atomic bomb? Maybe it is a huge realization and a betterment of my perceptions? Maybe it is a grief of mourning for what I once thought I knew, not only about my country, but about people as well? I don't know what to call it because it has not yet made itself clear enough to me. Thus I pick up the pen, or in this case keyboard and walk my way through this. It must have needed a crisp New Year, a new perspective to get something out