Skip to main content

Between the Silence



 Sometimes you don't have to meet someone for them to have a definite impact on your life. There are many examples of that in history and the world today.
The thing that I am experiencing more now in my life is the intangibility of that inspiration, and the places where it comes from. I have, in my willingness been inspired by those I would have never even listened to before. From an 82 year old God fearing woman to the 17 year old punk kid.
 There are of course those that inspire you with their story. It is right there that I find it funny in a cool and weird way that Marshawn Lynch and his story would inspire someone like me.

  I am just an average white guy from Seattle, I have not lived even a sliver of the life that he has. Yet, as his history and his present combined in front of these eyes, I found kinship somehow. No, I could not understand much of the lifestyle and other things that made the man. I could not understand the behavior, or the antics at times. I could understand something though and that was passion and perseverance, something that I write of much on this little interweb raindrop.

  Mr. Lynch happened to me at just the right time. I was going through some championship seasons as well. Meaning this was for all the marbles, this is where I take my life back from addiction and misery. I did not do it on a football field but the real field called life, and it was just as difficult to me to make it those 24 hours, those few yards at a time. I did not suffer the bruises and breaks, torn muscles and ice baths. I had to do it on the inside with all of my non physical abilities, the emotional and mental bruises and ice baths. The kinship came in the silence and in the din of a Beast Quake.

 I always felt, probably like many, that I was just a little different, a little off. Koontz has a series about a guy named Odd Thomas, my father's name was Thomas, I felt a kinship there too. I was in the middle of the end of my drinking and drugging, I was a daily blackout behind the wheel at that time. No employer would hire me, I had burned my career in the restaurant industry at every bridge.
Living off of a freshly sold family home's money and leeching it off my mother. My wife was at her wits end, I had nothing inside and yet I had everything inside. I was the fool and costing everyone I ever cared for dearly. I needed something in my life bigger than I was and at that time there was going to be no God allowed.

  The Quake had happened the season before I got pulled over by Lynnwood's finest in September, a block from my home at 1:30 am. I was a wreck, smoking pot and drinking all day was normal, I cannot exactly, well yes I can exactly tell you what I felt. I was not scared really, I was grateful actually, I could finally get the help that I needed, they would see what was wrong with me and fix it. Needless to say I did not know that I would be doing the work, with a lot of help, but work none the less. There was something brewing in town at that time, a new found pride in a sleepy NFL franchise that was seemingly blacklisted from day one. Beastquake had happened, and I was watching this short rookie kid lead a bunch of men like it was ballet. I watched a man that had been tossed around in life and the league without mercy run.
 It is often said the he runs to hurt people, go through them, not around. I did not see that at all, I saw a man who with every devastating hit freed himself of a past that was at times out of his control. I saw a clarity in those wild eyes and tattoos, dreadlocks and skittles. With every weekend that I watched and for the following week online, I saw someone who was defining himself, his way, the way that it was intended. I saw the work, and it helped me work harder on those things I needed to change. I saw the dedication and the teamwork needed for success and it taught me. I saw my team go to the Super Bowl and dance the dance of dreams, a collection of maybes honed it to positives.

  As I sit here almost four years to the day later, I am grateful to Mr. Lynch. The inexplicable mystery of God's ways and to the lessons I learned between the silence. Thank You Sir.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

America - I'm Lovin' It!

Welcome to America.... Can I take Your Order? As this week begins, I am reminded again that the events and results from the previous year are trying to push themselves into this one. We are just short of that time when we permanently scar the buttocks of the nation with an asterisk and a question mark. When we hand over the government to those who wish to erode it away. Globalism made to order for a few, the people still a commodity being traded away in the most covert and overt of manners. I have written about the outright antagonism that the Russians have engaged in, the voting and manipulation of the American psyche. Breaking in to C-Span, dogging our cyber security and basically just laughing at us, we apparently are not going to do anything. There are others involved in this as well including our pals the Israelis, if there was a closer tie to another Super Power in this world we would be closer to China, but the Russians are working on them as well, so here we are. The Bols

Clinton and the Cosby Effect - America's New Judiciary

   There is a systematic dismantlement going on in America. It is not our infrastructure, our politics or our morals. It is in our basic judiciary, our justice system, in our beliefs. With this new found voice that the common person has found online, a step back in our social evolution is taking place. On every page and with every keystroke the entirety of our existence is being argued about, heralded and flat out lied about. That is the freedom we have in this country, we get to lie with impunity, we get to pull things like a Stretch Armstrong to make our points, make us right, make us feel justified.   No matter what your thoughts are about the guilt or innocence of Bill Cosby and the allegations against him, this is true. The man has not been convicted, the man has not been tried by a jury of his peers, this dismantling of the person has been done by the media and social media alone. That much is very clear to me when I take everything else off of the table. The same thing is happ

With Slings of David

I have had this title sitting up here since November 10th. I had no idea what it was supposed to mean, though I didn't get rid of it for some reason. Was it some part of an idea or concept that already escaped me? Or one that was yet to fully come into clarity? I have no idea where this block is originating from, but it's reach feels somewhat gigantic. Mercury in retrograde may be a part of it, or an inner tornado of bile that won't settle down with the best meds around. Maybe it is just a huge denial system that got kick started like an atomic bomb? Maybe it is a huge realization and a betterment of my perceptions? Maybe it is a grief of mourning for what I once thought I knew, not only about my country, but about people as well? I don't know what to call it because it has not yet made itself clear enough to me. Thus I pick up the pen, or in this case keyboard and walk my way through this. It must have needed a crisp New Year, a new perspective to get something out