Skip to main content

Four Years


          No, this is not a post about politics or terms.

  This February 23rd will be four years of sobriety for me. I have been through a lot of life in those four years and none of it expected. I have also been through a challenging recovery in a number of ways.
  AA means to be involved and inclusion, two words that took on different meanings for me after I sobered up. Being involved was not a problem, I am a person who thrives on doing and being of service. The inclusion part has really been the hard part, I still have to trust my gut and it is telling me that this is all still scary.
 My trust in some people was above the norm and it was used to paint a completely erroneous picture of my character. There are many things that I do that would be associated with some problematic psychological makeups. The INFJ/ENFJ personality type though uses and does those acts for a different reason all together. I am not going to explain again here, let's just say that not knowing that I had issues with certain aspects of interactions, I could not fix them. Nor would I suspect that people would think me to be less than worthy of friendship because of it.
 I would suspect though that if my limited talents was in the area of mathematics people would understand me a lot better, or at least get the geekdom. If I was some kind of prodigy in some area people would get it. No, I am just average and slightly below in a lot of areas, just enough to keep my complex thinking pattern and creating pattern going. Now, don't get me wrong there is a big difference between complex and just messed up, I am trying to mitigate the two of them.....
 This has been a trippy life for the last four years or so. I often think that I haven't changed a bit, or enough to be happy with my progress. I mean there is so much that I have not been able to accomplish and that was out of my hands. I needed help to get my body back into a working condition again, I told some and that too was not heard or misunderstood.
 I have though changed so much, and I am much happier with the success that I have been given.
I am a grateful and loving person, a better Husband, a better person. I don't care if I have any real friends or not, I know that friendship means different things to different people. I guess that is what really is bugging me about this year though. It is all supposed to be about inclusion and fellowship, yet I have never had cake on my birthday or even called on to speak. I have never written my name on the birthday board or had anything more than a happy birthday en masse said to me during a meeting with everyone else. I have to look at the evidence and come to the conclusion that I simply don't belong. To see the Facebook posts of what everyone else does together was enough to drop those folks from my list. Not out of spite or resentment, simply just not constantly needing the reminder that I was not a part of. I am not writing this looking for pity though, it is just a part of my story. There have been good times though, don't get me wrong, but after four years to not find a real friend in all of it hurts. The hurt is not from others, but from within, my biggest failure it seems is in finding myself I lost everyone, and I mean everyone else.
 My wife is my rock, it hurts me when I think of the way I was, that forgiveness is going to be long in the making. It also hurts me to see her watch me go through this. She had a strong man with half a brain before, and now she has a half man with a strong brain now. Not too sure if either incarnation of me is a good thing though. With the mind I have, it may be better to nip it in the bud and get that lobotomy after all.
 Yep, I am going to celebrate four years of sobriety, alone, at home, with the only friends that have really seen me go through a lot of this. Like I said this is not a pity party, I am pleased with the clarity of it all now. They say that this is mostly going to be a mostly painful and lonely life, I can take the pain now because I learned how not to suffer. I can take the loneliness too now, I am happy with my tiny life and tiny blog. I am grateful for it all, and with the shrinking of my life, the bigger picture seems so much clearer. I am who I am, not much, but I am ok with that now. Cheers!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

America - I'm Lovin' It!

Welcome to America.... Can I take Your Order? As this week begins, I am reminded again that the events and results from the previous year are trying to push themselves into this one. We are just short of that time when we permanently scar the buttocks of the nation with an asterisk and a question mark. When we hand over the government to those who wish to erode it away. Globalism made to order for a few, the people still a commodity being traded away in the most covert and overt of manners. I have written about the outright antagonism that the Russians have engaged in, the voting and manipulation of the American psyche. Breaking in to C-Span, dogging our cyber security and basically just laughing at us, we apparently are not going to do anything. There are others involved in this as well including our pals the Israelis, if there was a closer tie to another Super Power in this world we would be closer to China, but the Russians are working on them as well, so here we are. The Bols

Clinton and the Cosby Effect - America's New Judiciary

   There is a systematic dismantlement going on in America. It is not our infrastructure, our politics or our morals. It is in our basic judiciary, our justice system, in our beliefs. With this new found voice that the common person has found online, a step back in our social evolution is taking place. On every page and with every keystroke the entirety of our existence is being argued about, heralded and flat out lied about. That is the freedom we have in this country, we get to lie with impunity, we get to pull things like a Stretch Armstrong to make our points, make us right, make us feel justified.   No matter what your thoughts are about the guilt or innocence of Bill Cosby and the allegations against him, this is true. The man has not been convicted, the man has not been tried by a jury of his peers, this dismantling of the person has been done by the media and social media alone. That much is very clear to me when I take everything else off of the table. The same thing is happ

With Slings of David

I have had this title sitting up here since November 10th. I had no idea what it was supposed to mean, though I didn't get rid of it for some reason. Was it some part of an idea or concept that already escaped me? Or one that was yet to fully come into clarity? I have no idea where this block is originating from, but it's reach feels somewhat gigantic. Mercury in retrograde may be a part of it, or an inner tornado of bile that won't settle down with the best meds around. Maybe it is just a huge denial system that got kick started like an atomic bomb? Maybe it is a huge realization and a betterment of my perceptions? Maybe it is a grief of mourning for what I once thought I knew, not only about my country, but about people as well? I don't know what to call it because it has not yet made itself clear enough to me. Thus I pick up the pen, or in this case keyboard and walk my way through this. It must have needed a crisp New Year, a new perspective to get something out