Skip to main content

The Spirituality Gap

   In a few weeks I am going on a Men's Retreat with my brother. It is billed as a spiritual retreat of sorts, and this years theme is the eighth step.

 "Made a list of all persons we have harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all."

 There is a certain amount of acceptance and tolerance that one must have with themselves and others to do this step. I see it lacking much of the time in the program and in life in general. There is a spirituality gap, and empathy wall that even the best of folks seem to have a hard time climbing. It appears to me during many times of examination that belief in something also brings about a good deal of denial of other things. I don't think that is what the God that I believe in wanted, at least not for me.
 Now in the last few years my spirituality and understanding of these things have grown exponentially. My belief system formed a solidity I had yet to experience in my life, I believe in God. Not your God, or their God mind you, not some already written about God. Simply that God that I believe in wants what is best for me, wants me to live a good life. Do not kill, do no harm, a Good Orderly Direction. Take it all in, either God is everything or he is nothing...
 I am definitely blessed to be able to examine these things in my life and aspects of it in others. I don't think other people get the chance or have the ability to step outside of themselves to the degree I am able to. In climbing into the depths of my own psyche, I have found parts that are leftover cancers from an earlier time. In climbing outside of myself I have found parts of myself that were simply never added, overlooked or in a melee to be ignored or destroyed. I listened to people who did not understand me, I didn't listen to God.
 You see in steps six and seven, they both stipulate that God remove these shortcomings, all of these defects of character. What I am seeing in so many cases is a full on blitz to do the work for God, to tell people what their defects are and how to fix them. I have to say that I have had that happen to me all my life, my entire freaking life. "He just needs someone to be hard on him," "He just needs to grow a thicker skin," "He's too soft, he isn't man enough," "When will he grow up?" It turns out that those very things are what God intended for me in the first place. What part of steps six and seven can't you understand? We are different, a defect to you could be a needed tool for me to live my life. Why are so many trying to fix things they don't understand? Break them down and rebuild them? Where is their faith? Where is their empathy, compassion, tolerance and acceptance? Looks like a gap to me, maybe even a chasm.
  Bill Wilson did a great job in describing the various kinds of alcoholics and their dysfunctions. The psychological breakdown of the addiction itself, the games we play with our heads. For 1935 that was a heck of an enlightened piece of work there. The thing he didn't have access to is the upcoming work done on the different natures of the people themselves. The underlying mental illnesses and disorders, but also the the different types of just regular folks. The great majority of this very functioning planet is made up of vastly different "regular people."
  Extroverts, introverts, type A personalities and B types. From the gung ho soldiers to the care free artists, the doers and the thinkers the players and the fans. The overriding theme God has going and has been pretty adamant about has been people are different. He hasn't started tossing out rubber stamped babies yet, so why the confusion? This happens in every group of people it seems, a standardization and a settling. A set standard of what it means to be this and that, part of this crowd and part of that one. Religious and non-religious, political and even groups of best friends do it. Standardize, set rules, push out, accept, and sideline people, all in the name of some greater good, a better fixing, a get normal-er.
 The challenging of a fixed set of beliefs is also the nature of us. This evolution of our mindsets comes at great costs, great losses and also with great leaps over gaps and chasms. The evolution of us human beings is continuing and with it the understanding of our very natures our very personal natures. In that belief system that goes forward I hope that denial of aspects of his will for us is not lost in the blitz to fix all, at all costs, in his name. The Japanese call it Kintsukuroi, where it is considered more beautiful having been broken and mended. It requires acceptance to allow others to make that leap of faith over the spirituality gap. Their amends to make, to themselves, and their higher power. It did say all didn't it?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

America - I'm Lovin' It!

Welcome to America.... Can I take Your Order? As this week begins, I am reminded again that the events and results from the previous year are trying to push themselves into this one. We are just short of that time when we permanently scar the buttocks of the nation with an asterisk and a question mark. When we hand over the government to those who wish to erode it away. Globalism made to order for a few, the people still a commodity being traded away in the most covert and overt of manners. I have written about the outright antagonism that the Russians have engaged in, the voting and manipulation of the American psyche. Breaking in to C-Span, dogging our cyber security and basically just laughing at us, we apparently are not going to do anything. There are others involved in this as well including our pals the Israelis, if there was a closer tie to another Super Power in this world we would be closer to China, but the Russians are working on them as well, so here we are. The Bols

With Slings of David

I have had this title sitting up here since November 10th. I had no idea what it was supposed to mean, though I didn't get rid of it for some reason. Was it some part of an idea or concept that already escaped me? Or one that was yet to fully come into clarity? I have no idea where this block is originating from, but it's reach feels somewhat gigantic. Mercury in retrograde may be a part of it, or an inner tornado of bile that won't settle down with the best meds around. Maybe it is just a huge denial system that got kick started like an atomic bomb? Maybe it is a huge realization and a betterment of my perceptions? Maybe it is a grief of mourning for what I once thought I knew, not only about my country, but about people as well? I don't know what to call it because it has not yet made itself clear enough to me. Thus I pick up the pen, or in this case keyboard and walk my way through this. It must have needed a crisp New Year, a new perspective to get something out

Clinton and the Cosby Effect - America's New Judiciary

   There is a systematic dismantlement going on in America. It is not our infrastructure, our politics or our morals. It is in our basic judiciary, our justice system, in our beliefs. With this new found voice that the common person has found online, a step back in our social evolution is taking place. On every page and with every keystroke the entirety of our existence is being argued about, heralded and flat out lied about. That is the freedom we have in this country, we get to lie with impunity, we get to pull things like a Stretch Armstrong to make our points, make us right, make us feel justified.   No matter what your thoughts are about the guilt or innocence of Bill Cosby and the allegations against him, this is true. The man has not been convicted, the man has not been tried by a jury of his peers, this dismantling of the person has been done by the media and social media alone. That much is very clear to me when I take everything else off of the table. The same thing is happ